My heart is so full of gratitude for my friend Audrey. I am guessing she already knows why. :)
As many of you know, we have been having an issue with Catherine taking naps during the day. I could rock her for 30 minutes to make sure she is deep in REM sleep, but she would wake up as soon as I put her down. If she did stay asleep, she was only sleeping for about 20 minutes. That is not a long enough nap for my little active munchkin.
Audrey gave me a copy of Sleepsense by Dana Obleman. At first I almost didn't want to read it all. It is about getting your child to sleep through the night. Well, Catherine is doing that. Granted we have a routine: pjs, bottle, book, and then I rock her until she's asleep. I think the routine is just as much for me as it is for her. She told me to pay close attention to chapter 5; it is about a sleep schedule.
I am very much against the cry-it-out-method. Yes, I know many/most moms use it. Yes, it probably was used on me. However, I just cannot bear the thought of my 5 month old screaming alone in a semi-dark room. Especially after she has spent her whole life being rocked to sleep. I am a creature of habit, and even if she does favor Austin more than me, she acts a whole lot more like me. That's an awfully big wrench to through at her.
Well, this is where I loved the book. Mrs. Obleman has a stay-in-the-room method. I literally sat by Catherine's crib for 30 minutes and waited on her to fall asleep. Yes, that is a long time, but it seemed like a much shorter time than listening to her scream for 5-10 minutes. She fought it, and she fought hard, but she fell asleep on her own! There were absolutely NO TEARS! We still followed the same routine, but instead of rocking her I laid her down.
After she fell asleep I just watched her and cried. She is getting so big so quickly! Granted I know this was the first night, and it may not be as successful every time. My little girl can fall asleep on her own now though, without having to be put in the swing! I couldn't be prouder of her.
Audrey you are a lifesaver, and to think that I almost didn't read it. I guess the saying is true: You really can't judge a book by its cover.
XOXO,
Annaliese
Congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks girl! I'm praying this will help. I can't wait to enjoy her naps like you and Colt. :)
ReplyDelete